Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Jump in!


The water's fine! If you've been invited to post to the blog, you can do so. Also note that *anyone* can comment. Some teachers are offering extra credit for blogging at least 5 relevant sentences about a science seminar session. Why not go for it? Here's my five sentences.

Regarding this evening's lecture by Dr. David Saloner, I was pretty amazed by how they could create 3-D maps of the arteries and then measure the blood flow through various parts of them. Then they can look at the same arteries over a period of years and tell how they had changed. They could tell the change both in terms of how fast or slow the blood was flowing in different areas, and in how big the arteries were getting because of arteriosclerosis. This helps not only charting the progress of the disease, but also helps see how different medical therapies might be working over time. It made me wish that I had taken more math in school and made me glad that the kids at the MSS were getting to see all the cool things you can do with math. I didn't get to see that when I was in high school.

What did you find interesting?

2 comments:

Raji said...

5 sentences? All right, here we go...

This seminar was pretty effective to me, seeing as it had to do with a topic that most people know at least a little bit about. Over the summer I took a class and became certified in first aid - and during this class I learned what the symptoms of a stroke were - but never have I been able to fully understand the biology behind one. I was pretty astounded by the imaging processes that the speaker (whose name at the moment escaped me >_<) talked to us about as well. His lecture did leave me with some lingering questions about the various procedures. It still is quite astonishing to me that such complex and high-level processes can take place without causing a great deal of serious damage to the body and organs. And of course, finally, it is always great to learn about different ways that technology is being used to help better the lives of womankind and mankind. Whether or not this information directly effects me or not is irrelevant -- I really enjoyed receiving this information, and I found it quite enlightening.

Anonymous said...

Well, my name is Daniel Galperin and I thought the seminar was pretty interesting. Since it covered topics that are heard everywhere from the news to T.V. shows, it was reassuring to learn how the science works behind names like MRI and CT scans. Even if I didn't understand everything, just the way Dr. David Saloner organized his Powerpoint and the diagrams in it show the basics of how scanning technology has changed. Another reason that I liked the seminar is that Dr. David Saloner actively works in his topic, so he could answer questions about how much are the imaging processes used and how much they help people. So, overall there was plenty of info, the only lacking piece was a summary or comparision table of the processes.

Five Health Challenges that Were Deadly Before Antibiotics

Nola Palestrant, Tamalpais High School      In 1928, Sir Alexander Fleming accidentally discovered humanity’s first antibiotic, Penicillin, ...

About Us

Marin Science Seminar is a one-hour science lecture/presentation with a question and answer period open to all interested local teenagers, educators and community. Seminar sessions are held 12 Wednesday evenings during the school year, from 7:30 to 8:30 pm in the Innovation Hub at Terra Linda High School, 320 Nova Albion Way, San Rafael. Seminar speakers are scientists, mathematicians, engineers, physicians, technologists and computer programmers. The topics presented are in a specific area of the speaker’s expertise, geared to interested high school students.